TECH – SAVVY TEACHERS
Overview:Teaching students of the digital generation has been a challenge for teachers especially for those who grew up in those eras in which cell phones and tablets were an uncommon phenomenon. This module would enable teachers not only to use technology for their effectiveness but also to facilitate students on productive and safe use of technology as well.
Benefits:The teachers would find the session beneficial because:
1. Being able to use technology in order to create interactive and engaging lesson plans.
2. Knowing how to generate experiential learning via technology.
3. Expanding their curricula that was once restricted due to lack of technological awareness.
4. Tapping multiple intelligences and multicultural lessons in order to address every students’ need via technology.
The students would benefit from the session by:
1. Having a teacher that produces dynamic lesson plans.
2. Having an engaging curricula in which the student can actively take part in.
3. Being able to exercise each component of intelligence to process the information.
4. Being aware of how to utilize technology themselves in order to educate themselves on their own.
Agenda:1. Adopting interactive activities using technology: Teaching is an art and keeping a student engaged throughout the lesson is a challenge on its own. However thanks to technology, coming up with engaging activities to inculcate learning concepts and keeping them engaged has never been easier.
2. Effective use of social media: Social media, ever since its introduction has taken the world by storm and vast majority of businesses have become digitized. However, social media being a double edged sword, it can also have detrimental consequences if not used correctly. It is the responsibility of the teacher to demonstrate practically the effective use of social media through the use of technology in forming professional network as well sharing a valuable idea effectively.
3. Google hangouts: As the world is a global village, it is very important to be multi-culturally literate and therefore interacting with students and teachers in other parts of the world is essential. Google hangouts can be used to directly link local students and teachers with their global counterpart to exchange ideas and knowledge.
4. Creating multidimensional lesson plans: Technology has allowed flexibility in forming lesson plans that were once restricted. Incorporating them into the classroom will not only broaden the concepts of the students but further update the teachers’ own knowledge and its practical application in the rapidly progressive world today.
5. Introducing the concept of Genius Hour: Google reports that students should be given an hour to research on the subject what they want to learn about not what the teacher wants them to learn. Self-education is stressed upon in the modern education community. Genius hour caters just that.
6. Virtual Reality Tours: Teacher can now use virtual tours of historical places, amazing geographical phenomenon and even museums to further strengthen the child’s learning.